Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Creamy White Mess: Coleslaw

It is now July and to me, July is synonymous with BBQ.  What better to serve at your BBQ than coleslaw!  It is delicious with so many main courses. 
As a kid growing up, I did not like coleslaw.  To me, it always just looked like a creamy white mess on a plate.  Plus it had cabbage and carrots.  No thanks.  But I have a new found love for the stuff.  I have determined I just didn't like that store bought mess.  Homemade is so much better than the store bought kind!  Sure it still kind of looks like a creamy mess, but it has cabbage AND carrots.  Two things I LOVE.  Plus it adds a great splash of color to any plate of food. 

One of the big problems I see with coleslaw is that that said creamy mess is not so pretty on your waistline.  Built on a base of mayo and often oil, it not a friendly side dish.  So I set out to healthify it.  And that is just what I did!  I hope you enjoy it at your next BBQ and don't even hesitate to have a second helping  :)



Healthified Coleslaw
inspired by allrecipes.com

1 bag coleslaw mix
1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
1/3 cup reduced fat mayo ( I just buy the olive oil based)
1/3 cup sugar
1 TBSP white vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/4-1/2 tsp poppy seeds (optional)

With a fork or whisk, mix everything except the coleslaw.  When it is blended thoroughly, pour over the coleslaw mix and toss to coat evenly.  Cover in the refrigerator and chill a couple hours.  It is key to allow it to chill for a bit so that it has a chance for the flavors to really marry.

No comments:

Post a Comment