Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Carbs: Whole Wheat Bread

Carbaholic. Yes, that is me. Spaghetti or lasagna served without french bread is like Siegfried without Roy, Seinfeld without Kramer, cutting onions without crying... ok I think that was going down hill quickly. There is only one thing better than finding your favorite bread on sale at the store, and that is baking your own FRESH bread! I absolutely love to have a slice of piping hot bread with honey on it. That is seriously dessert to me...Alright, you caught me! I would still have a scoop of nutella on the side :)

I have been baking many more loaves of my precious bread lately. I always bake two loaves; one to eat on the spot, and one to place in the freezer so we can enjoy the home baked goodness later. It works out perfectly, and thank goodness it thaws quickly too! If you love homemade bread, try this recipe it is QUICK (only has 1 rise) and is scrumptious!



The title of this recipe is "The Best Homemade Bread Ever"
I am not sure I can say it is the BEST, I still have many recipes to try before I can claim that. So I will name it this:

Really Yummy Whole Wheat Bread

yields 2 loaves

2 1/2 cups Warm water (almost hot)
2 TBSP Butter in slices
Put in bowl and let butter melt a little in the water. Then Add:
1 1/2 TBSP Yeast
1/3 cup Sugar
Let sit until foamy. While you wait you can get everything else out. Then add:
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Oil
Mix a little. Then add:
1/2 cup Gluten Flour
Add half of the flour (the whole wheat half) as well and let it mix for a few minutes
5-6 cups Flour (half whole wheat, all purpose/ bread flour)
Add your flour 1-2 cups at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the mixer and is not sticky to the touch. Form 2 loaves and place them into greased pans. Cover and let rise 30 minutes - 1 hour, or until it is about 2 inches above the top of the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Your house is going to smell amazing by this point, so get your bread knife out and prepare to start slicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment