Monday, March 14, 2011

Half Marathon - CHECK!

There are many things on my bucket list, like:
Travel out of the country -- CHECK
Go on a Hawaiian vacation -- CHECK
Stay a blonde (even if its fake!) -- CHECK
Become a mother -- CHECK
Eat Nutella everyday -- CHECK

Run a half marathon -- CHECK!!

I went to bed early the Friday night before the big race and felt rested (this never happens!) when I woke up in the morning. I debated what to wear, but decided on BYU BLUE as we were in Vegas so Jay could watch our team play some basketball. (GO JIMMER!)

The route was two out-n-backs. The first one was all paved and was relatively flat.
This is about the half way point. Right on my way "back" from the first out-n-back.

The second half was on a "packed" trail. I did not know that would be the case. And as soon as my feet hit the trail I felt like a total wuss! Props to all the trail runners out there! It was way more difficult than the pavement. The second half had some hilly spots, and I was feeling pretty tired. I almost biffed it going around the corner to a downhill spot...I felt so dumb...
I had GU Chomps in my butt pocket and they seemed to help quite a bit. I also really took advantage of all the water stations and took a couple of sips and poured the rest on my head. It felt soo good in the heat! Unfortunately, after a few hills, I was feeling pretty tanked. I was watching for the last water station and was dying to get that cup in my hand. The guy handing me the cup said something but I couldn't hear him through my headphones. So I just took the cup and took a sip. It was HEED not water... grr! I was so bummed. I really wanted some water! I ran my last 2 miles at a much slower pace, but was thrilled when I got to this point:
WAHOO! I finished. I didn't make the time I was hoping (less than 1:50), but I was still happy that I finished! Considering I was coming off my injury and hadn't run much the week and a half prior I was very happy! Now I have a PR to base some new goals off of. My official time was 1:55:03. 8:47 pace
I came in 8th in my age division! Posing in front of Lake Mead. There was a beautiful view of the lake for the entire run. They had sliced oranges, watermelon, donuts, bananas, oreos and water for the post race food. I loaded up on watermelon, oranges and water. The fruit had never tasted so good!

Showing off the muscles I made during training :)

Posing with my little Gator bug. Maister stayed behind at Jay's uncles home so Jay wouldn't have to chase both kiddos around the trails.
*
So glad I have my first half behind me! I am not sure where I will go from here, but I am thinking about what is best to do next. First I just want the blister under my toe nail to heal, and then I will go from there. YUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment