Thursday, January 27, 2011

Less than perfect day = Baking Cookies

To say the least, today was not the best one I have ever had. I just wanted to go back to bed and wake up, ready for the day to be better! Unfortunately, my attemps to take an afternoon catnap failed, and I had to trudge through the remainder of the day wollowing in my sadness. Ok, I am being dramatic, but you get the idea. I decided cookies would make it better, so I told Maister if she ate some of her asparagus at dinner I would make cookies. I figured this would give me a better excuse to make cookies, and I can get Maister to do almost anything for a promise of dessert! She ate her asparagus (can I get a WOOT WOOT!), and I began baking.

I chose my favorite "healthy" cookie recipe. Isn't that kind of an oxi-moron...healthy and cookie? Well in this case I think it almost fits! You see, about a year ago, after we moved into our house I was enjoying the new space in my kitchen a little too much. I was baking a little too much, if that is even possible. I decided that I needed a healthier dessert option that still tasted delish, and would fulfill my need for sugar at night. So I pulled a ton of ingredients out of my cupboards and just starting adding a little of this and a lot of that, and before I knew it I had these beauties sitting on my counter. And I was never more proud, don't worry it was the good kind of proud :)

I like to call them "Healthy Oatmeal Pecan Cookies"

I used a mix of extra dark chips and semisweets for tonights batch
Tonight we baked these with out the pecans as I didn't have any left...dang. I love the extra crunch of the nuts in the cookies. I love having a cookie recipe where I can enjoy eating several cookies and not worry about how I shouldn't be grabbing another one. Try them, your mind and body will thank you. And let me know what you think! I would be totally embarassed if they were awful and I have been feeding them to people. I know sometimes I can get in my own little world, and maybe my taste buds are just trying to boost my confidence by telling me they are good. Although, the chocolate smeared on my kids faces should say it all. I can trust the opinions of a 1 and 2 year old right? Right. Now that we have that settled...
-
Healthy Oatmeal Pecan Cookies
makes about 3 1/2 dozen
-
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature (almost warm)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup dried cranberries
1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chips or coursely chopped chocolate
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix butter, applesauce, and sugars until combined. Add the egg, vanilla, and mix well. In a separate bowl whisk baking soda, quick oats, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Then slowly incorporate into the wet ingredients. Mix well. Add the pecans, chocolate and craisins until just combined. Drop by the tablespoon full onto greased baking sheet (I recommend pamper chef baking stone). Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, just until the edges are slightly golden. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing.
*
Now if you will excuse me, I have about 30 cookies left to eat...

No comments:

Post a Comment