Monday, January 24, 2011

Shoes

Yesterday I posted that J talked me into a new purchase at Nike. He didn't have to persuade me too much. So I walked out of the store holding these beauties:

J has been trying to convince me for a couple months that I should get a new pair of running shoes. And everytime we go into Nike I browse through their shoe collection, but always leave saying "No, no, the ones I have are just fine." I knew the day was approaching that I would need new ones though. When we saw these were 30% off, J began his persuasion tactics. They go something like this: "Just try them on and see how they feel. Walk around. Just try them on." Then it turns in to "Just buy them and try them on at home. You can try them on next to your other ones and see how they feel."

It doesn't hurt to try them on right? So I did. It didn't take long for me to feel a difference in the shoe. Plus, J added that since I am putting many miles on my shoes it is good to invest in a nice pair. He claimed that my current ones were just cheap runners, and they aren't meant for long distance running. Like I said, I was pretty convinced. Though I still left the store with the mindset that I could return them if they didn't feel like a big difference being worn side by side with my others. I got home and tried them on. I am keeping them. Plain and simple.

I went for my first run in them this morning. 5.18 miles at a 6:51 pace. Apparently these shoes do more than make my foot comfortable; they make me faster too! They were GREAT! They provide support in the right places, and the arch is just right for my foot. Plus they have a little hole in the sole for my Nike+ so I don't have to wear the little pocket on the top of my shoe anymore!
I love them.


However, I am having a difficult time leaving these, my now "old" shoes behind:
Silly as it may seem, I feel a sense of loyalty to these shoes. They have carried me a LONG ways in my running journey. They carried me from a 10 minute mile to a sub 7 minute mile. From mile 1 to mile 10. They have been good and have actually stayed pretty clean :) Plus they match my dri-fit jacket and pants. Can I get a shout out for running in fashion?
They have been good to me. But I suppose it is time to move on to something a little more fitting for me. These guys will still get some attention, but probably on walks and hikes. Goodbye old friends. I will think of you often. I miss you so. But I don't miss you enough to return my new kicks...don't be offended.
*
Today's workout:
5.18 miles at 6:51 pace
15 minutes of strength training and stretching
*
*
Do you ever feel a sense of loyalty to inanimate objects?
*
How many miles do you put on your shoes before you turn them in for new ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment