Monday, January 3, 2011

Week 1 Menu

Part of sticking to a budget (for me) is making a menu, and sticking to it. Hopefully posting my menu weekly will hold me a little more accountable to sticking to what I picked, and what I have on hand.

Monday: White Bean Chicken Chili (eaten taco style)
Tuesday: Thai Pizza
Wednesday: Rice Bowl Dinner
Thursday: Baked Turkey Burritos
Friday: BBQ with family
Saturday: Eating out, probably Mexican. Score!
Sunday: Eating at Jason's brother's house. His wife is a great cook so, double score!

Here is the white bean chicken chili we had for dinner tonight. I know it doesn't look too pretty, but it was quite tasty, and super healthy! I found a great new website for healthy eating that I am loving so far. I found this recipe here, and only tweaked it a little. ENJOY!

White Bean Chicken Chili
adapted from Raise Healthy Eaters

3 cans (15oz) white beans (I used cannellini)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced or finely grated
1 can (7 oz) diced green chilies
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder (or use cayenne)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 pinch salt
1 pound chicken breasts (I used 2 breasts)
2 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth

Mix beans, onion, garlic, chilies, and spices in the bottom of a crockpot. Lay chicken on top, and pour the broth over the top. Turn the crock pot on for 4-5 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low. Before serving, remove chicken and shred with two forks. Then return it to the juices in the crockpot. Serve with tortilla chips, or in a tortilla. Then sprinkle with cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado, or whatever you want. I liked it the best in a tortilla, kind of taco style.

I may or may not have added a few more handfuls of cheese after I took the picture. I will let you guess.
Can you tell from my menu that I LOVE mexican food? I always want to try the hole-in-the-wall restaurants in town, but Jason says he is afraid of getting sick. I think I will get him to one in the near future. I am craving some GOOD mexican food.
*
What is your favorite kind of food?
*
I love Mexican, but definitely have a taste for Italian, and Thai too. Even Indian has a place in my heart. I suppose it just depends on my mood. Oh and a juicey burger puts a big smile on my face as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment