Monday, January 3, 2011

Gimme FOOD!

I took the two kiddos grocery shopping this morning, which is always an adventure. I had one elderly gentleman stop and tell me I better watch it because my little girl was a flirt! My little girl sure knows how to pick em; 70+ and married. To add to the crazy trip, all of the kid friendly carts were gone by the time we walked in the doors. Arg! I spent the whole trip telling my daughter to sit on her "bummy" and telling my son to stop pulling her hair. Shouldn't every grocery store buy about 15 extra of those? I digress. It really is fun though :)

My husband and I have a monthy budget that we try to adhere to every month. It isn't always easy, and I missed the mark on my food budget many times last year. We have $250 for a family of four, and that includes dish detergents, paper towels, etc... I have tried the coupon thing, and I do use coupons whenever I can, but it is hard to find coupons for all the fresh produce we like to buy! This year I am determined to stick to my budget. Thankfully we have an entertainment budget for when we have company over, especially last minute. But I am really hoping I can stick to it. Here is how it all played out today:

Today's grocery trip included: mushrooms, roma tomatoes, zucchini, a lime, avocado, bananas, broccoli, 3lbs granny smith apples, red bell pepper, plain greek yogurt, yobaby Yogurt, frozen strawberries, frozen blackberries, milk, green chilies, pinto beans, cannellini beans, cilantro, applesauce, enchilada sauce, low sodium soy sauce, and Jalapeno and Cilantro tortillas.
These tortillas just make me smile :) They are Tumaro's Gourmet Tortillas. I also recently bought the tomato and basil tortillas. They have 4g of protein, low in soduium, and the flavor rocks. I will take a few extra carbs and calories for these babies. They have several other flavors I am dying to try, but I thought I should start working my way through the two bags I currently have before I start stocking up my pantry! So far I am obsessed!

(how is that for a plug? Tumaro's, you want to send me a few free samples? hehe)


Today's grocery trip came in just a pinch over $39. Not too shabby. I am hoping this will be all I need for the week, as my mother in-law is coming in town so we will be eating out. Sweet.


Do you have a grocery budget? If so, how much is it?


I have a really hard time sticking to our budget, especially in the summer when strawberries, watermelon, and blueberries surround me. We go through about 3-4 pounds of strawberries every week during the summer, and we eat way too much watermelon. I craved it like crazy when I was pregnant the first time.


Do you have any tricks to keeping your produce bill down?




No comments:

Post a Comment