Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tuesday Schmoosday

I started off the day with a brisk 5 mile run. I left the house around 7:25am and boy was it cold. It may be California, but OH! I should have worn my Nike skull cap (aka my du-rag). It was probably only in the high 30's or low 40's but it was cold. The run felt good, but I felt a little sick this morning afterwards. I may have pushed it a little. I shouldn't have skipped so many runs while I was gone for Christmas. I did exercise, but not 5 miles a day. I suppose it will just take some adjusting. Especially the early morning runs.

I got home and took a HOT shower that I did not want to get out of. I figured when my bathroom was too foggy to see, it was probably time to get out. I let Maister pick what we had for breakfast, and she requested my favorite Baked Oatmeal. I was more than happy to grant her request, as I had been craving it myself.
I mixed it up a little this time and threw in some cameo apple and raisins. That was definitely a good idea, and one I will do again, and soon!

Maister, Gator, and I enjoyed this before our long morning of the library and playground.
I have been craving another bowl all day, but will resist until tomorrow morning. I won't deny that I have been known to eat this for multiple meals in a day. I LOVE having breakfast for dinner. It just feels right to me. I eat enormous amounts of this in the summer when strawberries are floating around our house! Have I mentioned how excited I am for all the summer produce. I am excited! Let the 3 month (or so) countdown begin! I hear costco has blueberries already. Maybe I should scoot my way over there. I need to renew my membership. I need their produce!

Anyways, here is the recipe to my favorite breakfast ever. That is right. E.V.E.R.

Baked Oatmeal
adapted from My Sisters' Cucina

6 cups oats (quick or rolled. I like to do half and half for texture)
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups low fat milk (I drink 1%)
4 eggs (2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites) beaten
1 TBSP baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2-3/4 tsp cinnamon (I just usually sprinkle a bunch in, I don't measure)
**optional ingredients
Diced Apples
Raisins
Dried Cranberries
Other dry fruit
Nuts (walnuts are a SUPER food!)
any fresh fruit

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the ingredients and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve warm with fresh fruit and a little milk.

This morning I threw in half of a granny smith apple and half a banana on top of the apple and raisins that were already baked into the oatmeal. The oatmeal will keep you full for longer and it tastes spectacular! Enjoy.

What is your favorite breakfast food?

What keeps you full for longer in the morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment