Tuesday, January 4, 2011

No-cone-n-a-gup


I used to babysit these two cute little boys, ages 3 and 2, when I was 12 years old. They were family friends, and if I recall I didn't even get paid usually. But I have always loved kids and was happy just to play with them! I have a vivid memory of pulling them up and down a hill in a wagon. They LOVED it and would plead for me to drag it back up to the top of the hill again and again. I remember thinking how nice it would have been to be one of those kids sitting in the wagon, basking in the sun while another youngster slaved away dragging me around where ever I requested.
On hot summer days, (OK not that hot. We lived in Washington state) the younger of the two, Jacob, used to beg for snowcones - or a no-cone-n-a-gup. My Dad and I used to just laugh and laugh about this. And still do to this day. In fact we joked about it over Christmas. Everytime I eat a snowcone and I can't help but think of little Jacob and his no-cone-n-a-gup.

Does it still make me a kid for the simple fact that I will drink a snow cone any day, any time of day. I know the things are straight sugar, but they are brain-freezing goodness. Only three sounds explain how I feel about them. "Mmm Mmm Mmm."

My husband and I went to Hawaii for our 5th anniversary a few months ago and I put all of my health conscious sugar hesitations out of my head (or at least tried to) and downed a minimum of one HUGE snow cone per day. Usually two. Yes, my blood sugar levels were shooting threw the roof! I got through that by playing on the beach and then crashing as soon as we got in the car to go back to the hotel. Sooo worth it.

If you haven't eaten a snowcone from Matsumoto's Shaved Ice on Oahu, they are SO worth the flight. Too bad they can't package and mail a snowcone. Maybe I could invent a way to make that possible. I better hurry and patent this brilliance!
Instead of sulking in the reality that I will not have another one of their famous shaved ice for many years, I will simply dream of eating one and having the above look on my face. Memories are SwEeT!


What is your favorite sugar HIGH indulgence?

No comments:

Post a Comment